Why Startups Need to Develop a Positive Mindset
“The mind is everything. What you think, you become.” – Budha. So whether you think you can or you cannot, you are ultimately right.
Starting a new business with an old concept or entirely new idea and succeeding in it requires a positive mindset. Entrepreneurship has never been easy and is not for everybody as stated in this post.
Remaining optimistic during the early stages of your startup even when it seems as if you are not getting it right is not as easy as it may sound. Some factors like fear and anxiety is bound to come and discourage you, this is normal because the brain always switches to negative mode when it senses threat, defeat or imminent failure.
You need to train your mind to always see the positive side of every situation.
An entrepreneur without a positive mindset is only planning to fail. You might be consumed with the passion to start your own business but the passion may fail you when there is no tangible return after a while but with a positive mindset, you will always hope for the better by pushing forward.
Someone with a positive mindset handles challenges with self-assurance and composure. These people have confidence in their professional skills and ability to deal with obstacles. They can manage stress, remain calm under pressure and plan to resolve problems effectively. A resilient attitude also requires strong goal orientation, which means monitoring progress on and regulating behaviour that affects the goals one sets for oneself.
Mahatma Gandhi said, “Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviour. Keep your behaviour positive because your behaviour becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your value. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.”
Here are some tips to help you overcome negative thinking:
- Change the tone of your thoughts from negative to positive: Always think of the positive side of every situation.
- Always surround yourself with like-minded positive people: Negative thinking friends will tell you 1001 reasons why your startup will not work but the positive ones will encourage you to try harder and believe in your dreams.
- No one is perfect: Always remember that the only people that never failed are the ones that never tried a thing. When you fail a thousand times, you have just tried a thousand ways that won’t work. So keep trying.
- Set ambitious goals: Goals are best designed when they focus not only on the outcome you want to achieve, but also on the process by which you will achieve that outcome.
- Smile always: Even when you just discovered you have failed, smile and think of a better way to forge ahead. Smiling helps change your mood and relieve stress.
Get the eBook: Visualize and Achieve to help you in your quest to a successful startup.