How to Make Money Online with UpWork (Formerly oDesk)
Do you want to learn how to make money online with UpWork (Formerly oDesk)?
Then visiting this blog today will solve that problem for you as The Total Entrepreneur is set to give you the most comprehensive information on what Upwork (Formerly oDesk)is, how to make money online with Upwork, how to apply for works online with Upwork, how to write a complete profile that will attract employers, how to find jobs at Upwork, how to prepare for an interview online at Upwork, how to write an excellent cover letter, how to receive payments with Upwork, and generally how to succeed with Upwork.
Before I begin these step-by-step How-TOs of Upwork, I will like you to understand what Upwork is and how it works.
What Is Upwork?
Upwork is the world’s largest online job marketplace where employers (over 1 million companies) find and hire freelancers (Contractors as called in Upwork) online. Upwork is based in Redwood City, CA, and was founded by Odysseas Tsatabs and Stratis Karamanlakis; both are Greek entrepreneurs.
Upwork created a platform that made it very easy for freelancers to promote their skills online thereby giving them access to a global employment market.
Upwork is so advanced in the online workplace; they have tools created to access, hire, manage and pay their contractors (ie you and I and any other entrepreneur that choose to work with Upwork from home). Another good thing about Upwork is that you can choose when to work and how you want to be paid, either hourly or to work at a fixed price.
Upwork has a proprietary tool that enables employers to manage their teams online. The Upwork proprietary software called Upwork Team enables employers to manage contractors individually or in a team while also enabling the contractors online to easily document and prove performance.
The Upwork software id provided by the company at no cost and should be installed on the computer of all members. It is easy to install. Contractors are expected to always turn the oDesk Team on while working online as only the work tracked by the software will be qualified for payment except if otherwise agreed by the two parties.
Upwork Team works online but has an offline mode that works up to 2 hours in case of internet failure. You must always put on the software while working.
Starting Up With Upwork (SUMMARY)
- Create an Upwork account
- Complete your profile
- Read the Upwork readiness guidelines
- Answer am 11-item Upwork readiness test
- Take the spelling test and vocabulary test
- Find a good work on Upwork
Have a Crisp, Clear Profile
- Upload a professional picture of your smiling face
- Introduce yourself and what you have to offer
- Set your rate (I advise you set a competitive rate as a beginner and build your Upwork profile)
- Take and pass a few Upwork skill tests
- Post your portfolio
- Check for errors
Find the Right Job
Before you choose a job in Upwork, ask yourself these questions;
- Do I have the right skill?
- Can I prove that I have the right skill?
- Do I have time for the scope of the projects?
- Is the offered rate acceptable?
- Will I work well with the client?
Working Fixed vs Hourly
|Often preferred by customers||Generally smaller jobs paid upon completeion|
|All time logged through the Team App (oDesk Team)||Terms agreed on before work begins|
|Covered by oDesk guarantee|
Work Category and Pay According to Levels
|Work Category||Entry Level ($)||Experienced ($)||Expert ($)|
|Website Development||9 - 12||13 - 24||25 - 40+|
|Graphic Design||5 - 10||11 - 19||20 - 35+|
|Mobile App Development||20 - 30||31 - 54||55 - 75+|
|Software Development||12 - 15||16 - 30||31 - 50+|
|Social Media Marketing||3 - 5||6 - 8||9 - 15+|
|SEM/SEO||3 - 5||6 - 10||11 - 18+|
|Virtual Assistance||3 - 5||6 - 10||9 - 18+|
|Data Entry||2 - 3||4 - 6||7 - 10+|
|Legal||20 - 30||31 - 55||56 - 80+|
|Accounting||6 - 10||11 - 20||21 - 35+|
How To Plan Ahead to Create a Fixed Price Offer
- Break the job into phases
- Break each phase into steps involved
- For each phase, calculate your charge
- Add up the estimated cost of all phases, plus a little extra for unexpected issues
7 Steps to an Excellent Cover Letter
- Make a professional impression
- Be specific
- Relate back to the job post
- Ask clarifying questions
- Follow directions
- Close the deal
- Re-read, edit, and consider.
Preparing For An Interview
- Be flexible with time zones and communication preferences
- Make sure you completely understand the job
- Be prepared – Mentally and Emotionally
- Be professional and honest – Do not mislead clients.
- Ask for details about the job
- Ask if there is a deadline for hiring and thank them for the interview
Making it Work
- Create a workspace with minimal distractions
- Set regular work hours so it’s easier to get work done and your clients know you’re available
- Disengage your gadgets like TV and your smartphone to avoid distractions
- Set up a kick-off meeting or write a message to your client
- Keep the oDesk Team App on.
How To Receive Payments in Upwork
After you have successfully completed a job/task, Upwork pays you the agreed amount through any of the under-listed payment solutions;
- Direct Deposit
- Payoneer Debit MasterCard
- Local Fund Transfer
- Wire Transfer
Please Note: Some withdrawals may not work for your country. In any case, only withdrawal methods that are allowed in your country will be supported by your account and will be made available during registration.
How Upwork Make Money
Registration with Upwork for both employers and contractors is free. Nevertheless, Upwork charges 10% of whatever the contractor makes from a particular job.
Using Upwork Team App and Working Dairy
- Download the Team App to enter hours and get paid for your time.
- The work diary tracks your time
- It takes work-in-progress snapshots at random times
- These snapshots guarantee you’ll be paid even if there’s is a dispute
- You can also track offline time when pre-approved by your client
Keys To Succeed With Upwork
Be Prepared for Work
- Be your own boss and take responsibility for delivering excellent work in time
- Set expectations and give your client regular progress updates
- Resolve issues quickly
- Use a project management tool
Communicate early, Communicate often
- Agree on work hours, deadlines and delivery mode
- Establish regular check-in meetings
- Plan for your off-time
- Use sharing tools: Work diary, Google Docs, Evernote, Dropbox, etc
REMEMBER: Write your client’s information down, back-up data, have a secondary way of working.
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- If you don’t know it, don’t click on it
- Avoid any client who requests free work and never pay for the chance to work
- Report a job post that looks suspicious to customer support
GET REWARD FOR GREAT PERFORMANCE
- Send an email to thank your client and let them know you’re available for more work
- Get approval to display your finished product in your portfolio
- Adjust your hourly rate if necessary
- Add any new skills you’ve acquired to your profile
7 HABITS OF SUCCESSFUL CONTRACTORS
- Communicate early, communicate often
- When in doubt, ASK!
- Set clear expectations
- Respond quickly
- Hit deadlines
- Be a pleasure to work with
- Under-promise and over-deliver
REQUIREMENTS FOR Upwork JOBS
- An internet connection
- A work-only email and Skype account
- A quiet workspace
- A basic understanding of the English Language
- A ready-to-work attitude
- Strong skills
In conclusion, Upwork creators have done their part by setting up this online job platform and ready for exploring, it is now left for you as an entrepreneur to tap from the opportunity. Goodluck.
Make use of the social buttons below to help someone looking for a genuine way to make money online.
- How to Discover Your Purpose
- Causes of business failure
- Financial prosperity
- Business Lessons from Warren Buffett
- Startup Lessons for Young Entrepreneurs
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- How to Make Money Online with OLX