How to Make Money Online with oDesk (UpWork)
Do you want to learn how to make money online with oDesk (UpWork)?
Then visiting this blog today will solve that problem for you as The Total Entrepreneur is set to give you the most comprehensive information on what oDesk (UpWork)is, how to make money online with oDesk, how to apply for works online with oDesk, how to write a complete profile that will attract employers, how to find jobs at oDesk, how to prepare for an interview online at oDesk, how to write an excellent cover letter, how to receive payments with oDesk, and generally how to succeed with oDesk.
Before I begin these step-by-step How-TOs of oDesk, I will like you to understand what oDesk is and how it works.
What Is oDesk?
oDesk is the world’s largest online job marketplace where employers (over 1 million companies) find and hire freelancers (Contractors as called in oDesk) online. oDesk is based in Redwood city, CA and was founded by Odysseas Tsatabs and Stratis Karamanlakis; both are Greek entrepreneurs.
oDesk created a platform that made it very easy for freelancers to promote their skills online thereby giving them access to a global employment market.
oDesk are so advanced in the online workplace; they have tools created to access, hire, manage and pay their contractors (ie you and I and any other entrepreneur that choose to work with oDesk from home). Another good thing about oDesk is that you can choose when to work and how you want to be paid, either hourly or to work at a fixed price.
oDesk has a proprietary tool that enable employers manage their teams online. The oDesk proprietary software called oDesk Team enable employers manage contractors individually or in a team while also enabling the contractors online to easily document and prove performance.
The oDesk software id provided by the company at no cost and should be installed on the computer of all members. It is easy to install. Contractors are expected to always turn the oDesk Team on while working online as only the work tracked by the software will be qualified for payment except if otherwise agreed by the two parties.
oDesk Team works online but has offline mode that work up to 2 hours in case of internet failure. You must always put on the software while working.
Starting Up With oDesk (SUMMARY)
- Create an oDesk account
- Complete your profile
- Read the oDesk readiness guidelines
- Answer am 11-item oDesk readiness test
- Take the spelling test and vocabulary test
- Find a good work on oDesk
Have a Crisp, Clear Profile
- Upload a professional picture of your smiling face
- Introduce yourself and what you have to offer
- Set your rate (I advise you set a competitive rate as a beginner and build your oDesk profile)
- Take and pass a few oDesk skill tests
- Post your portfolio
- Check for errors
Find the Right Job
Before you choose a job in oDesk, ask yourself these questions;
- Do I have the right skill?
- Can I prove that I have the right skill?
- Do I have time for the scope of the projects?
- Is the offered rate acceptable?
- Will I work well with the client?
Working Fixed vs Hourly
|Often preferred by customers||Generally smaller jobs paid upon completeion|
|All time logged through the Team App (oDesk Team)||Terms agreed on before work begins|
|Covered by oDesk guarantee|
Work Category and Pay According to Levels
|Work Category||Entry Level ($)||Experienced ($)||Expert ($)|
|Website Development||9 - 12||13 - 24||25 - 40+|
|Graphic Design||5 - 10||11 - 19||20 - 35+|
|Mobile App Development||20 - 30||31 - 54||55 - 75+|
|Software Development||12 - 15||16 - 30||31 - 50+|
|Social Media Marketing||3 - 5||6 - 8||9 - 15+|
|SEM/SEO||3 - 5||6 - 10||11 - 18+|
|Virtual Assistance||3 - 5||6 - 10||9 - 18+|
|Data Entry||2 - 3||4 - 6||7 - 10+|
|Legal||20 - 30||31 - 55||56 - 80+|
|Accounting||6 - 10||11 - 20||21 - 35+|
How To Plan Ahead to Create a Fixed Price Offer
- Break the job into phases
- Break each phases into steps involved
- For each phase, calculate your charge
- Add up the estimated cost of all phases, plus a little extra for unexpected issues
7 Steps to an excellent Cover Letter
- Make a professional impression
- Be specific
- Relate back to the job post
- Ask clarifying questions
- Follow directions
- Close the deal
- Re-read, edit and consider.
Preparing For an Interview
- Be flexible with time zones and communication preferences
- Make sure you completely understand the job
- Be prepared – Mentally and Emotionally
- Be professional and honest – Do not mislead clients.
- Ask for details about the job
- Ask if there is a deadline for hiring and thank them for the interview
Making it Work
- Create a workspace with minimal distractions
- Set regular work hours so its easier to get work done and your clients knows you’re available
- Disengage your gadgets like TV and your smartphone to avoid distractions
- Set up a kick-off meeting or write a message to your client
- Keep the oDesk Team App on.
How To Receive Payments
After you have successfully completed a job/task, oDesk pays you the agreed amount through any of the under-listed payment solutions;
- Direct Deposit
- Payoneer Debit MasterCard
- Local Fund Transfer
- Wire Transfer
Please Note: Some withdrawals may not work for your country. In any case, only withdrawal methods that are allowed in your country will be supported by your account and will be made available during registration.
How oDesk Make Money
Registration with oDesk for both employers and contractors is free. Nevertheless, oDesk charge 10% of whatever the contractor makes from a particular job.
Using oDesk Team App and Working Dairy
- Download the Team App to enter hours and get paid for your time.
- The work diary tracks your time
- It takes work-in-progress snapshots at random time
- These snapshots guarantee you’ll be paid even if there’s is a dispute
- You can also track offline time when pre-approved by your client
Keys To Succeed With oDesk
Be Prepared for Work
- Be your own boss and take responsibility for delivering excellent work in time
- Set expectations and give your client regular progress updates
- Resolve issues quickly
- Use a project management tool
Communicate early, Communicate often
- Agree on work hours, deadlines and delivery mode
- Establish regular check in meetings
- Plan for your off-time
- Use sharing tools: Work diary, Google Docs, Evernote, Dropbox etc
REMEMBER: Write your clients information down, back-up data, have secondary way of working.
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- If you don’t know it, don’t click on it
- Avoid any client who requests free work and never pay for the chance to work
- Report a job post that looks suspicious to customer support
GET REWARD FOR GREAT PERFORMANCE
- Send an email to thank your client and let them know you’re available for more work
- Get approval to display your finished product in your portfolio
- Adjust your hourly rate if necessary
- Add any new skills you’ve acquired to your profile
7 HABITS OF SUCCESSFUL CONTRACTORS
- Communicate early, communicate often
- When in doubt, ASK!
- Set clear expectations
- Respond quickly
- Hit deadlines
- Be a pleasure to work with
- Under promise and over deliver
REQUIREMENTS FOR oDESK JOBS
- An internet connection
- A work-only email and Skype account
- A quiet workspace
- A basic understanding of English Language
- A ready-to-work attitude
- Strong skills
In conclusion, oDesk creators has done their part by setting up this online job platform and ready for exploring, it is now left for you as an entrepreneur to tap from the opportunity. Goodluck.
Make use of the social buttons below to help someone looking for a genuine way to make money online.
- How to Discover Your Purpose
- Causes of business failure
- Financial prosperity
- Business Lessons from Warren Buffett
- Startup Lessons for Young Entrepreneurs
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- How to Make Money Online with OLX