How To File Your Business Taxes in Canada as a Sole Proprietor


Many people dream of the day they can be their own boss and run a business. As a sole proprietor in Canada, you can do whatever you want to build your business. But with this independence comes tax season, which can feel daunting for first-time filers. This quick guide will help you confidently fulfill your business tax duties with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Tax Basics

As a sole proprietor, your business isn’t a separate legal entity from you. You must report your business income and expenses on your T1 income tax return. The CRA provides the T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities to help you track and report your business income and claim eligible deductions.


Before starting to fill out the tax forms, make sure to collect all necessary documents. These include the following:

Business receipts and invoices

Keep receipts for all your business expenses throughout the year. That includes rent, office supplies, marketing costs, travel expenses, and anything else your business uses to operate.

Bank statements

While you can use your personal bank accounts to do business as a sole proprietor, it would be better to use separate ones for your company. That way, you can easily separate your business income and expenses from your personal ones.

Capital asset records

Suppose you bought capital assets such as equipment and vehicles for your business. Tracking the details will help you calculate potential capital cost allowance (CCA) deductions.

Previous year’s tax return

The taxes you paid as an individual the previous year serve as a reference to the additional taxes you will pay in the current year. You want to ensure you don’t miss any carry-over amounts.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You will need your SIN to file your T1 return. It is the number the CRA uses to identify you for income taxes under Section 237 of the Income Tax Act. Failing to provide your SIN may result in a $100 penalty.

Business Number

The CRA assigns you a unique Business Number (BN) as the standard identifier for businesses. You will get one if you register your business online or apply for GST/HST or payroll deductions. It is optional for filing taxes except in specific cases, such as making pension plan payments (Canada Pension Plan/Quebec Pension Plan).

Demystifying the T1 Return and T2125

Paying taxes as a sole proprietor requires you to fill out two forms. They are more straightforward than you think.

The T1 General Return: The T1 is your main tax form, where you’ll report your total income (including your business income from the T2125) and claim various deductions and credits. You can get the 2023 income tax package for your province to file online.

The T2125: The Statement of Business or Professional Activities form is dedicated to your business. Here’s a breakdown of critical sections:

  • Business Identification: Indicate your business name, operating period, and type of business.
  • Income: Report your total business revenue from sales, commissions, and other sources.
  • Cost of Goods Sold (COGS): If you sell products, deduct the cost of acquiring them from your revenue.
  • Expenses: List all your eligible business expenses in this section. These expenses may include rent, utilities, office supplies, marketing, and vehicle costs. Remember, they must be reasonable and wholly attributable to earning business income.
  • Capital Cost Allowance (CCA): You can claim depreciation on eligible capital assets like equipment and vehicles over their useful life.
  • Summary of Business Income or Loss: This section calculates your net business income (revenue minus expenses) to be carried over to your T1 return.

Keep organized records throughout the year to simplify filling out these forms. Consider using accounting software or spreadsheets to categorize your income and expenses.

Eligible Deductions

Here are some business expenses you can claim on your T2125:

  • Office expenses (rent, utilities, furniture, supplies)
  • Marketing and advertising costs
  • Vehicle expenses (lease payments, gas, maintenance) if you use your vehicle for business
  • Professional fees (accounting, legal)
  • Travel expenses (business trips, meals)
  • Home office expenses (a portion of rent, utilities, internet) if you have a dedicated workspace
  • Interest paid on business loans
  • Bad debts you’ve written off

The CRA has specific rules for claiming some deductions. If you need clarification on an expense’s eligibility, consult a tax firm like Faris CPA. They can provide expert guidance, ensuring you maximize your deductions while complying with CRA regulations.

Quick Tips

The devil is sometimes in the details. Here are a few reminders to keep you on track when filing your taxes for the first time.

Pay taxes on time

As a sole proprietor, you’re considered self-employed. It is your responsibility to pay income tax in installments throughout the year. The CRA provides estimated payment schedules based on your previous year’s income. It’s crucial to meet these deadlines, or you may face penalties.

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions

You must also make CPP contributions on your self-employed earnings. The amount is calculated as a percentage of your net business income, similar to how CPP contributions are deducted from employee paychecks.

Record retention

The CRA recommends keeping your business records for at least six years after filing your return. That includes receipts, invoices, and your completed tax forms.

Pay Your Taxes Right

Staying organized and maintaining accurate records throughout the year will simplify your tax filing process and ensure you’re prepared for any inquiries from the CRA. By following this guide, you can meet all your obligations as a sole proprietor in Canada and save on taxes through eligible deductions. Seeking advice from tax professionals can provide additional peace of mind and help optimize your tax situation.

Francis Nwokike

Francis Nwokike is the Founder and Chief Editor of The Total Entrepreneurs. A Social Entrepreneur and experienced Disaster Manager. He loves researching and discussing business trends and providing startups with valuable insights into running a profitable business. He created TTE to share ideas and tips to help entrepreneurs run and grow their businesses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *