Two Important Management Lessons I Learnt from a 500 Naira Note
Read carefully these important management lessons and start taking actions towards achieving your entrepreneurial goals.
1. It happened some time ago, I was in an audience listening to a motivational speaker. The speaker got out his wallet & pulled out a 500 Naira note. Holding it up, he asked, “Who wants this 500 Naira note?”
Lots of hands went up. Including mine. A slow chorus began to build as people began to chant “I want it!” “I want it!!” “I want it!!!”.
I began to wonder who the lucky one would be, who the speaker would choose. And I also secretly wondered why he would simply give away 500 Naira. Even as the shouts of “I want it” grew louder, I noticed a young lady running down the aisle.
She ran up onto the stage, went up to the speaker, and grabbed the five 500 naira note from his hand.
“Well done, young lady,” said the speaker into the microphone.
The speaker simply said “Most of us just sit and wait for good things to happen. That’s of no use. You’ve got to make things happen. Make a move”
“Simply thinking about doing something is of no use and not good enough”. Our lives are like that.
We all see opportunities around us. We all want the good things. But the problem is we don’t take action.
We all want the 500 Naira note on offer. But we don’t make the move. We look at it longingly.
Get up, and do something about it. Don’t worry about what other people might think.
2. Later, the speaker got another 500 Naira note and held it up for all to see, I thought I knew what’s up. But he just asked a simple question. “How much is this worth?” “Five Hundred Naira!” the crowd yelled in unison. “Right, said the speaker. He then took the note and crumpled it into a ball and asked “How much is it worth now?”
“Five Hundred Naira!” screamed the audience.
He then threw the note on the ground, stamped all over it and picked up the note and asked one more time: “And how much is it worth now?” Five Hundred naira! was the response. “I want you to remember this”, said the speaker. “Just because someone crumples it, or stamps on it, the value of the note does not diminish. We should all be like the 500 Naira note..
In our lives, there will be times when we feel crushed, stamped over, beaten. But never let your self-worth diminish. Just because someone chooses to crush you, that doesn’t change your worth one bit!
Don’t allow your self-worth to diminish because someone says something nasty or does something dirty to you.
Never let your self-worth diminish.
- How to Discover Your Purpose
- Causes of business failure
- Financial prosperity
- Business Lessons from Warren Buffett
- Startup Lessons for Young Entrepreneurs
- Principles of Entrepreneurship
- How to Start a Money Making Blog